Re: Subject: [Harp-L] Sore Mouth From Playing Chromatic

On Sep 26, 2011, at 8:24 PM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Separately, I once bought a chromatic which had a vile taste and odour  I
> believed was likely due to insecticide used in the shipping containers.

This is true.

> Since there were subsequent recalls of medicines from major pharma
> companies relating to insecticide contamination of their products because  of the
> pallets used in shipping, this confirmed my original gut feeling.

True

> Elizabeth

Being that I usually play the Hering chromatics, I had also noticed the unusual taste. This was because mine all had wooden combs (at the time).
Oddly enough, while on a Caribbean cruise, I stopped by a pile of pallets in Barbados because I thought I was picking up the same taste in the air.
It WAS the same taste. Apparently they use insecticide in the tropics. Also, the pallets are made from a smelly wood (Bubinga), to begin with. I have
picked up the taste in most Caribbean and S. American ports.

smo-joe