Subject: [Harp-L] Sore Mouth From Playing Chromatic

Gavin: I'd like to know exactly what model you play?

Is there any possibility of posting a couple of photos of it from different
 viewpoints, focusing in on the mouthpiece and cover plates?

Tend to think Steve's on the right track, but we'd have to know quite  a
bit more to nail down the reason, if it's instrument-related.

I play several different models and do end up with chapped lips (mostly in
cold weather) for which I use a couple of different Blistex products,
although I  agree that the CX-12 is the easiest model causing the least amount of
mouth  problems (for me).

Despite playing lip-block and not TB style I suspect I  unconsciously play
in a manner which causes my bottom teeth to quite  badly abrade my tongue
since I suffer from a rather severe case of TMJ and  have ground my teeth
enough to cause an occasional sharp edge over the  years. None of this stops me
from playing however, since I'm rarely aware  of it until much later, and
can still continue to play despite these occasional  problems. (Orajel is my
friend)<G> It heals quite quickly once I've  visited my dentist.

Separately, I once bought a chromatic which had a vile taste and odour  I
believed was likely due to insecticide used in the shipping containers.

Since there were subsequent recalls of medicines from major pharma
companies relating to insecticide contamination of their products because  of the
pallets used in shipping, this confirmed my original gut feeling.  For my own
chromatic, airing it out for a couple of  months eventually dissipated the
odour and taste (after a thorough  cleaning and trying out many suggestions
from other chromatic players to no  avail).

If none of what we're talking about fits your situation, then I'd follow
Steve's advice and check with your family physician (or dentist).

Elizabeth

"Message: 3