RE: [Harp-L] Sore Mouth From Playing Chromatic

I'd never say that playing can't toughen up the lips, etc., as some posts suggest, but I think it's a bad idea to carry on playing through increasing discomfort. Far better to identify the problem and deal with it promptly. Dry lips caused by nerves plagued me for several years when I was starting out. Little sips of water at frequent intervals can help, as can the sparing application of a thin, non-greasy, perfume-free lip cream as I suggested before. I'd avoid vaseline like the plague unless you like playing dirty harmonicas.  Keeping the lips moist by licking is something you can actually practise at home - just find those tiny breaks between phrases. You only need a split second to lick yer lips! It's also worth guarding against sunburned lips in summer. I use an aloe vera lip balm that blocks out UV when I'm out and about.