Re: [Harp-L] Making the Move to Chromatic

These are some terrific posts here about Diatonic Players "Making the Move to Chromatic" and some terrific advice is being offered so I'm enjoying the read!

I started out on Diatonic in 1966 and then added Chromatic to my arsenal by the 70's. I quickly realized that the transition wouldn't be as EZ as I anticipated as the Chromatic required me to learn Music Theory. That worked out fine as I was also teaching myself Guitar and Piano at the time and all the theory I could get under my belt would only make me a better Musician.

I was able to at first bang out the melodies to standards like "Wave" "What are you doing the Rest of your Life?" "Days of Wine and Roses" etc...but I could not improvise on these songs. Being in the NY area, I took out the Union book and called Toots Thielemans who was living in Yonkers at the time. I told Toots that I was a huge fan and would love to study with him. He told me he didn't teach but that I could call him anytime and 'pick his brain' and that I did! He told me to stop listened to so much TOOTS and got and spend time with the improv masters like Miles, Rollins and Parker. He also said take a song like Duke's "Sophisticated Lady" and pull it apart because if you were able to improv over that song you'd be ready to play Jazz! I learned a lot just from our frequent phone conversations and really owe much to his generosity.

By the mid 70's I was SO immersed in 'everything' harmonica I wanted to try and play all styles but realized that my reading skills were pretty much zilch to say the least. When I was in college in NJ my Mom told me one morning that she read in the paper that Larry Adler was appearing at The Rainbow Grill in NYC and they'd also have a meet and great b4 the show so I went. I nearly fell off my seat when I heard his tone and technique. I sought out Cham-Ber Huang in NYC as he was working for Hohner in NYC at the time and teaching and doing some sessions. I took classes with him at The Turtle Bay Music school and that led me to his number one student Robert Bonfiglio.

The tools I acquired during these years prepped me for more session work than I could handle in NYC from artist sessions to Jingles and Filmdates. But I also was able to bring these tools out on the bandstand when sitting in with bands or just working with my own group.
At first I must say I was terrified to tackle the Chromatic, it was so foreign to me and after all what did I need it for, I was very comfortable on my Diatonic. Once you get past the initial fear and put in some time, trust me, there is no turning back. IMO The Chromatic is the perfect compliment and essential tool for the serious player to add to their tool kit.

I studied weekly with Bonfiglio and learned how to read and play scales and how to navigate around on the Chromatic with a logical technique that made musical sense but I still wanted to play in my own style so continued to my Blues & Jazz studies at home too. I went on to teach at Turtle Bay Music School and more recently take of students privately at my home or on Skype

In the past few years I have teamed up with my old teacher and we have come with a pretty effective 2 day workshop that can give you the tools you'll need to be both a better Chromatic & Diatonic better. We only have a few slots left for our CT seminar in October. Here is a link if your interested in more info on the Paparozzi-Bonfiglio Workshop:
http://jplpagan.com/workshop/workshop.html

all the best, Rob Paparozzi www.robpaparozzi.com