From: Vern <jevern@xxxxxxx>
Sender: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 22:03:58
To: Degregorio, Jeffery<jeffery.degregorio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: martin oldsberg<martinoldsberg@xxxxxxxxx>; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx<harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] The silent harmonica

Foamy or fluffy stuff such as cork or caneboard on the walls can suppress reflections but it takes mass to suppress transmission. I took  lessons in a music store where the owner built practice cubicles and used caneboard on the walls. He was under the mistaken impression that the caneboardf would suppress the transmission of sound.  It was as if the walls were not even there.

An extra layer of wallboard would probably help.  However, it would not be effective unless all openings in the walls were blocked.  A hole the size of a quarter can negate the good done by the most massive walls.

Don't forget the floor and ceiling.  If sound can travel up and over thicker walls, extra thickness/mass will be pointless.

Because of their extra mass, brick or concrete-block walls would be most effective.

Staggered studs in the wall can help suppress conduction through the wall. They are most effective with multiple layers of wallboard.

The logarithmic response of the neighbor's ears means that you will have to reduce the transmitted sound energy by a factor of 100 or more  (20 db) for the neighbor to perceive a meaningful reduction in sound.

IF your apartment has heated garages, could you practice in your car?

I suggest that you visit the practice rooms of a college/university music department to see what is involved and to judge its effectiveness.  Open the door a tiny crack and hear how much sound comes out.

I understand that the above remedies are not really practical in most apartments.   However, this post might save you from a big effort and expense that would be ineffective.

Sorry to be the bearer of such discouraging news.

Vern