Re: [Harp-L] Are there pro harp players who do not know theory?

Mike raised the issue of basic music theory. He did not mention the dread topic of READING MUSIC.
(708 words-if you're counting)

There are several levels of reading music -- but they are frequently lumped together. People who read music usually fall into the following categories, any of which is better than not reading at all. Not because it makes you a better person, but because it saves time.

This includes the ability to:
1. read the music (know what the notes are),
2. play the notation (know where to sound the notes on an instrument (linking C musical staff with Blow 1 on C harp)
3 sight read (play music notation off staff at performance speed) -- all ability for interpretation/expression (and no doubt improvisation) is lost. NOT.
4. connect the keyboard to music notation (the piano is the perfect graphic representation of how music is set up.)

There was a time when musicians had to make the choice between classical and pop. Pick one. Not both. Nowadays, kids come out of music school (trade school, conservatory, university) proficient at both.

I find the ability to read music -- (sorry, I wanted & took piano lessons for 5 years as a kid) -- to be an advantage when switching between harmonica, piano, guitar, ukulele because it is a universal language.

However, knowing how to play the piano will not TELL me where to play the notes on the harmonica or guitar -- I will have to figure it out or use a chart until I learn (own) the information. But at least I have a starting point.

The combination of knowing the harmonica note layout and the ability to read music tells me at a glance when I look at a sheet of music whether it is playable on a 10-hole harp with/without bent notes, requires a SlideHarp (Richter-tuned button chromatic), Hohner XB-40, half-valved Suzuki or half-vaved Seydel.

Pick your genre -- there is sheet music and lead sheets out there galore -- classical, pop, blues, country whatever. And if you can't find it, you need a better search engine.

Also, a small amount of piano information (training) can go a long way: the ability to read a treble staff Every Good Boy Does Fine for 5 lines; FACE for 4 spaces between lines -- will help your harp playing because you can SEE scales (modes, blues scales etc) and chords and spell them C chord (C E G), C7 (C E G Bb).

And if you are a great ear player, you're in a better position because you can now SEE what you are playing.

There are certainly many pro harp players who don't read at all-- but they certainly know most of the theory Mike listed. And they can probably play anything Mike could think up. They may know the Bb is a minor third on a C harp in crossharp, or the Bb is the flat 7 on C chord (subdominant) or they may just know those sounds as the first bend on draw 3.

David Barrett has more than 60 book/CD sets, most of them published through Mel Bay in one of the most comprehensive collection of learning tools available today. Find a music store, you can find his stuff. David started out with an Associate's Degree in music, as I recall from my early work of 17 years with American Harmonica Newsletter (later Newsmagazine). He not only understood the theory but the practical experience and since he had both he was in a great position to launch his career. And understand and explain what he was playing so that both musicians and aspiring musicians could understand.

I've always regretted I didn't live close enough to David's California location (4 day drive from Michigan) to take his complete course of study.

What's next? Want to learn fast? Get that harp tab under control. Run into a plateau after a few months? Get somebody to show you how to read keyboard so you can pick up new tunes faster.

The short answer to the question: Are there pro harp players who do not know theory? They KNOW it they just don't know that they know it.
Remember, the first step in learning is confusion.

Hope this helps
Phil