From: John Neff <soulchicken@xxxxxxxx>
To: michaelrubinharmonica <michaelrubinharmonica@xxxxxxxxx>; harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, May 19, 2011 9:30 am
Subject: RE: [Harp-L] Are there pro harp players who do not know theory?

"Yet nowadays, 10 years of him playing in clubs later, he'll still say he knows
nothing about theory but he will speak in context using theory terms."

This sounds to me like the fact that, even if you know no theory in the
beginning, as soon as you start interacting with other musicians in a band
context you are almost forced to learn some theory in order to communicate and
interact in that setting.

I agree that spontanious improvisation is better when the mind is free from
overthinking theory, but in the context of playing with others in an organized
structure like a band, it is still neccesary to know some basic theory to
function. (ie what key, I-IV-V changes in the blues, etc.) So it seems to me
that it becomes impossible for a musician to avoid learning any theory unless he
spends his entire musical life as a solo player.