RE: [Harp-L] Reed Measurements (Request For Information)

Vern and Smokey Joe,

Thank you very much for providing inspiration regarding reed manufacturing and also
 for sharing your experience and expertise. While my friend is intrigued by the challenge,
I am still more interested in the end product than in the process per se. I also am aware
that (in all likelihood), I will pay a lot more for developing a usable punch-and-die set
than it will ever cost me to buy replacement reedplates from Seydel. I CAN imagine how
difficult the reed making process is. I DO expect the punch-and-die making process to be
iterative, because of the very tight tolerances required. (Thank you for the specification
of 0.005mm; that gives me a target to specify.) My target reed blank is somewhere
between professionally made reeds at the factory and handmade reeds from razor blades,
cartridge cases and other esoterica. I'm certainly NOT a "MacGyver" like Smokey Joe, but
if a usable reed can be made by hand, then surely a machine can be made that makes
the process a little easier and less time consuming; THAT is my goal. I do NOT intend to
EVER compete with the harmonica manufacturers economically. In all likelihood, I will
spend my money and time and not get close, but the possibility of "failure" doesn't deter
me.

I have already done the process of cutting down longer reeds to fit shorter slots AND
polishing the shortened reed to match (approximately) the profile of the required reed.
It's a PITA and very time-consuming but I have done it. I'm not planning to make reeds
for harmonica production; I want to have a means of making reed blanks so that I (and
perhaps a small number of other people) will have a source for individual reed blanks. It
will be up to me (and those possible others) to cut the profile needed into the reed blank.
If all the manufacturers provided a means to obtain individual reeds for any of their harps
(rather than requiring either the purchase of a complete set of reedplates or another
harmonica), then my foray into this endeavor would definitely be INSANE. Unfortunately,
only Hohner makes individual reeds available (and only for selected models). I understand
the economics of WHY they do not (and likely NEVER WILL) sell individual reeds. I applaud
Hohner for their support; it makes my work as a harp repairman so much easier for most
of the harps I have to work on.

The design of the polishing wheel is modeled (somewhat loosely) on two different designs.
One is the patent for a machine to grind the profile into a reed longitudinally. The other is
the design of machines for making woodwind reeds, with some modifications to enable the
individual reed to be held securely while being "polished" and also to control the depth of
the stroke and the polishing area to a very tiny area of the reed. The basic concept is similar
to the idea of key cutting machines, with the acknowledged SIGNIFICANT difference that
the tolerances are several orders of magnitude tighter. I know that some of the professional
machines for making clarinet and bassoon reeds can cost anywhere from $500 up to several
thousand dollars. I expect this machine to cost at least somewhere in that neighborhood to
build.

Thank you for the "Good luck!" I'm sure I'll need it!

Regards,
Crazy Bob