  From: sheltraw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Monday, May 09, 2011 4:11 PM
  Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Just what exactly is 'key'?

  Hi doug

  There is yet a third important category: Those who are aware of the many
  definitions of "key" and find them ambiguous and of little utility.

  I think that it is important for the beginner to understand this and I
  think that it gets increasingly more important as one advances. I have
  heard many folks (not necessarily on Harp-L) empower ambiguous musical
  definitions of "key" with utility the definitions do not possess.

  PS: When I wrote previously that "I don't have a definition for the term."
  I should have been a bit more precise. I should have written that I
  do not have a musical definition for the term. The only definition of
  "key" that I see of a benefit is that used in standard notation of music.
  But that definition applies to a notational rather than musical convention.

  PS PS: What key would you (or anyone else) assign Coltrane's "Impressions"?

  Cheers!