Re: [Harp-L] My explanation of 5th and 12th position for Steve Hellerman

> "I think you may have this back to front, for a C harp the  C scale goes
> I=C, II=D,III=E, IV=F, V=G, VI=A & VII=B
>
> Now if you are using your first position scale, as above, your formula
> doesn't work."

no, it wouldn't in C. however, my post was referring to this quote - "In
cross harp you grab a C harp for a G tune, in 12th, you grab G harp for a C
tune." the original poster was talking about key of G, not C for the first
example, and for the second example he gave - G is the V of C. I think that
is why he called it "reverse cross" - and it seems like a valid, simple
reference.

"A really helpful thing to do is to commit a circle of fifths to memory.
> then put your first position  at One o'clock, 2nd position at 2  o'clock,
> 3rd position is at 3 o'clock and so on round to twelfth position at 12
> o'clock. Given that you can recall what a round watch face is like, many
> kids these days don't get to see such a thing often, the world having become
> digital an all ;- )"

I agree - learning the circle of fifths, understanding scales and studying
classics like Walter Piston's 'Harmony' (for starters) is basic to being a
musician. I do like an easy shortcut as much as the next guy, however - and
still like and appreciate Jim's pointer to the 12th position. Tea kicking
in, must go play now - see if it works. cheers!

--
Please change my contact information to jvboden@xxxxxxxxxx Thanks!