Re: [Harp-L] A couple of questions

I like minor harps, but you have to be careful, as the two best known brands
use opposite keys for reference. If you go with a Lee Oscar you will buy the
key you want to play in (what the guitarist or other musicians are in) and
play in second position. So buy a Dm to play in Dm and play in second
position. For Hohner Marine Band or Special 20 you buy them just like any
other blues harp - in other words, think cross harp. Always go with Natural
Minor harps and not Harmonic Minor unless you want to sound like a Hungarian
Gypsy - a cool sound, but probably not what you need for this gig.

You can also play the Hohner Natural minors in first position - I do this on
an Am tune (not a blues) - play a Am natural minor - and it sounds nice. So
it would depend on your partners song. If it has something other than a
standard I IV V progression, like a country ballad, Hawaiian Ballad, that
kind of thing, playing first position works well. I have not had much luck
playing the Lee Oscars minors in first position and prefer Hohners, but that
is just me.

There are many good sources for harps - recently many players here have
recommended Rockin Ron's website - I buy from him, I don't know him - but
get good prices and very quick delivery. You can Google his info.

You can buy a Db Marine Band.

Of course, there is always third position for minors (yummy) and playing the
major harp that is one whole step down from the key you are in to get a
Dorian minor sound, but lets not get more confusing than I already have,
bruddah. Much success at your gig.

A hui ho!

--
Please change my contact information to jvboden@xxxxxxxxxx Thanks!