RE: [Harp-L] A couple of questions

> Aloha everybody,
>
> I met a guitar player yesterday who wants to do a duo thing at an
> open mic in a few weeks. He wants to play two tunes, something in a
> minor key and one requiring the only key I don't own --  Db (or does
> the harp come in C#?). I've never learned to play in a minor key on a
> major harp. I'd be grateful for a few tips on this. Also, what do
> people think about minor key harps? If I use a minor key harp, what
> key would I use relative to the key of the tune, and what position
> would I use?
When you say tunes, what kind of tunes? If the notes of the minor tune you want to play are there in the diatonic scale only,you may be able to play them in either third or fourth position on a major harp without having to bend notes.  Say the tune you wanted to play was in E minor.It might be possible to play it on either a D harp in third position or a G harp in fourth position.A tune in A minor might be possible on either a G harp (third position) or a C harp (fourth position) - and so on.It's worth checking along these lines first before spending your dough on a minor-tuned harp.I play hundreds of "minor" Irish tunes and not a single one calls for a minor-tuned harp.  Technically, the "minor" tunes I play are ineither the Dorian mode or Aeolian mode (calling for third and fourth position respectively).