Re: [Harp-L] Re: Cables: Are there really any sonic differences?

On 03/03/2011 04:31 AM, MARK BURNESS wrote:
Garry, music is assessed with human ears, if you don't trust them, then it's time to hang up the harps.
if i swore to you that based on my own listening tests, red cables sounded better
than black ones, and blue ones made your harp sound more jazzy, you mght be
inclined to disbelieve me. especially if i offered no supporting evidence but my
subjective evaluation. ears are pretty good devices, but they get filtered through
minds and brains, and people are pretty good at seeing and hearing things that
aren't there, by design (witness many well known optical and aural illusions).

the green magic marker thing i mentioned earlier in this thread consumed vast
amounts of postings, discussions, arguments on rec.audio back in the early days
of the net. as did the old monster cable vs. speaker wire thing.

i don't know if cables make a difference. i don't really care all that much.
i suspect that any differences in sound so subtle that they cannot be measured
are likely to be lost amidst the thumping bass, pounding drum kit, and screaming
guitars sharing the stage with our harps.

but purveyors of snake oil all make the same claims. "this is beyond measurement,
but trust me, it's real", and "science does not apply here." that's when i call BS.
even if i trust my own ears, i have no means of evaluating whether to trust yours.
that's why science was invented.