Re: [Harp-L] Teachers do you write educational music for your students?

Thank you for your response. The number of times I hear adults wishing they'd paid more attention to their music when they were at school.
I use music with Tab.

To be honest the Tab has very little meaning for me, but folks seem to find it a comfort. As a notation system it seems to me to be deeply flawed, not least of these flaws being that when you can see the numbers you can't hear the sound and when you can hear the sound you can't see the numbers.

My students are not required to use music notation but they mostly (say 98%) want to. I use simple tunes to help all starting players become orientated on the harp.

As I understand it the numbers system was an idea from Hohner publishing, though they may have got the idea from else where. Any one know the history of Harmonica Tab? What's the earliest harmonica that any one has with numbers on. I have Hohner group music with music and Tab and also just tab from Ca 1923.

Here's an experiment I tried at one of the World Championships, which you can also try. Take simple well known melody and write it out as untitled Tab and also as untitled music. Then get 10 tab users to each play the tab version independently and get 10 music readers to play the music version, also independently.
I found that for the Tab I got 10 different tunes and for the music I got one tune played 10 times.
-David