De : harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] De la part
de Sam Friedman
Envoyé : dimanche 24 juillet 2011 03:31
À : David Fairweather
Cc : Harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Objet : Re: [Harp-L] Re: Seamless Overblow Challenge

David,

I think part of  Iceman's point is not necessarily that OB's can be played
the EXACT same as regular notes. It's that for the sake of musicality it
doesn't  matter at all. Overblows simply mean more sounds you can make on
the instrument. Whether someone uses those sounds musically has nothing to
do with if their timbre and tone matches that of other notes on an
instrument. I think these discussions get heated because people end up
arguing two different things with each other.

 You say they have a different sound; that's fine... The point others are
trying to make is simply that while you may find it an irritating sound, the
fact of the matter is, they are additional soundwaves one can choose to
produce to create beautiful music.  Incidentally, I would agree they have a
slightly different tone (or may require a LOT of work to get to be the
same), but I dig that tone and think it lends new groovy personalities to
different keys you play in, just like cross harp has a different personality
from first or third position.

 For this reason, people should not be discouraged from exploring this
aspect of the instrument. To do so limits one's ability to express
themselves; furthermore, I think a lot can be gained from learning
overblowing in terms of regular playing. Overblowing well requires an
intimate knowledge of the structures in your mouth, and I firmly believe the
more you explore the hardest and furthest reaches of your instrument, the
better you understand the less-far-out techniques of navigating it. Now
obviously, some of the greatest cross-harp-only players never overblew. That
said, Charlie Parker never squealed like John Coltrane, but in exploring the
outer continents of the instrument's sound producing capabilities, Coltrane
was able to create some seriously wild music.

Regards
    Sam Friedman

21 y.o., playing for 2 years
sammyasher.bandcamp.com