Re: [Harp-L] Gear Creep

On Jul 19, 2011, at 9:14 AM, Elizabeth Hess wrote:

> Yes, that was my first thought at the time.  My larger question is one of efficient and compact transport.

TELL me about it. lol

>  Maybe an even larger harp case with room for extra stuff.

Maybe.

>  Maybe trim the set of harps I carry around (I really do think I could leave the Paddy Richters at home most of the time, for example), and get a different and/or custom-cut foam insert for the hard case I have, so as to accommodate fewer harps and more stuff.

Foam sucks. You have to be careful of the type. Closed cell is best. It doesn't shred nor deteriorate as readily as open cell. (which is what most people use).

>  Or maybe a larger case that would hold the harp case inside it AND ancillary items.  Or a third general-purpose container such as a knapsack.

Depends on how handy you are.

> When you (any of you) gig, how many separate items do you carry with you into the club, not counting the contents of your pockets?

My left hand carries a modified clarinet case. But a mississippi sax case is about the same size. On the top I have built a shallow tray out of teak that holds 18 diatonics in rows of 6 each in the flat position. There are stickers on some with pictures of fruit. That way I can tell what I'm grabbing in dimly lit places. Actually, I can keep the tray on the seat of my car, and without ever lifting my eyes from the road, I can reach over and pick a harp out by touch and always get the correct one. They are always in the same place. If I put them in there on edge, I could cram in 21-24, but I don't need that many.

In the bottom there is room for 7 chromatics. (I carry 5). a 5148 Hering 48 that I put together myself. It is Meisterklasse C tuned. A 270 Hohner 48 in Bb, a 5148 Hering 48 in F, A 6148 spcl Hering 48 in G, and a 5148 Hering 48 in standard C. The other 2 spaces are: 1 Peavey black diamond mic. and a small cardboard box I made the same size as a chromatic which holds emergency repair materials/tools. I also carry 3 tiny plastic bottles that once held swimming pool test chemicals. They are: water, alcohol, & whale oil.

My right hand carries a mic stand/chord, and a velvet bag with a Shure sm58. The 58 is 1.77" dia and won't fit in the harp box, but the Peavey is 1.19" and does. Anything else gets left in the car. Sometimes even the mic stand stays in the car. I carry a 3 outlet power strip. Usually, when I show up at a sojourn, everything is already set up. But I sometimes switch mics. We use 350 watt Peavey pa's.

>  What trade-offs do you make between things you must have, things you like to have, and things you  *might*  want or need, but usually do not?  E.g. extra batteries for battery-powered items.

I keep a shoebox in the back of the Jeep and that seems to be big enough. 3 way octopus plug, trumpet mute, stuff like that.

> I can see this escalating to the point where I have a steamer trunk and a dolly, and I shudder.

No, not with harp. lol. Unless you carry an amp. James Cotton doesn't, so thats good enough for me. lol.