[Harp-L] Gear Creep

I went to an open jam last night, and for the first time, I had real trouble finding an outlet to plug my amp into. There was a small power strip, but it only had three outlets, and all were occupied. The short version of the story is that I persisted for the first set, and the host managed to effect a re-arrangement, and I let myself get skunked at the end of the evening when I got invited back up for a second set.

So, maybe I need to add a power strip to the stuff I carry. But this raises a configuration issue.

I like to travel as compactly as possible. I lock my purse (including cell phone) in the trunk of the car. In my pockets I carry my car key, a modest amount of cash, and a small plastic pillbox with earplugs. I walk into the bar with one thing in each hand: My hard- sided harp case, which also holds my mic, and a small amp. The amp has a cavity in the back where its cord goes, and into that space I also tuck the cable for the mic and an empty plastic harmonica case that I place under the bottom front edge of the amp to incline its projection angle a bit. Even with that small amount of stuff, I worry about something rattling against the glass tubes. I appreciate that my amp is not a suitcase.

If I add a knapsack to my kit, I could have a power strip and/or extension cord, a vocal mic, various spare cables, and a parrot. (Okay, kidding about the parrot.) I don't love the way knapsacks look, and it's a third thing to keep track of in the bar.

I'd be interested in how others of you have dealt with this. Thanks in advance.

Elizabeth (aka Tin Lizzie)