Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic cover lids modification
- To: Denny Noreikas <harpmessin@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Chromatic cover lids modification
- From: Vern <jevern@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:03:51 -0800
- Cc: Harp- L <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=fea.net; s=briansetupdkservice; h=x-mailer:to:references:message-id:content-transfer-encoding:cc :date:in-reply-to:from:content-type:mime-version:subject; bh=5L+4/6e5JAxpQIW04TYSgre/2RWeqKMWRjqR9xRzxnw=; b=SxHqbPgbiY70XSu3Tjg7J76yM6JFFs0UBsyZaeauUkycom6B9ZiV17dkGAPmLfMCb MFrJIsDwtrdkAdc1xxnpA==
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; q=dns; d=fea.net; s=briansetupdkservice; h=received:subject:mime-version:content-type:from:in-reply-to:date :cc:content-transfer-encoding:message-id:references:to:x-mailer; b=F+NzeOXAZPcNI+ifO5ZKb7oULQdlKxBNgDEE9oLyUEydiIjJuX6kZL/k15S0VjI4E bZawKCed+UuZmfVLSV/CQ==
- In-reply-to: <4C02D481-2B5C-4398-93A6-A3FB2D19A102@woh.rr.com>
- References: <4C02D481-2B5C-4398-93A6-A3FB2D19A102@woh.rr.com>
The curling in of the cover plates does not perceptibly suppress the sound. I once blocked off more than half of the opening in the back of a harp with an aluminum plate. There was no perceptible difference in the sound as measured on my sound-level meter. When you cup a harp in your hands, there is hardly any effect until your hands are almost closed.
Opening up the Velvet Voice covers would be a waste of your time.
On Jan 12, 2011, at 5:27 PM, Denny Noreikas wrote:
> All this recent talk about which Chromatics to buy got me thinking about trying the
> Chromatic again for playing Blues. I have 2 key of C's, a Hohner CX-12 and a Hering
> Velvet Voice 48. The CX-12 is too shrill for me compared to the Velvet Voice. I like the
> rich smooth sound of the Velvet Voice. However, the top and bottom cover plates on the
> Velvet Voice curled around toward the comb in the back of the harp which narrows the
> back opening suppressing the sound. I am sure this is by design.
> The CX-12 has a very large opening in the back. Can the cover plates on the Velvet
> Voice be filed down with a Dremel tool or similar device to open up the back? I am not
> a customizer nor do I want to screw-up a perfectly good harp.
> Any help would be appreciated.
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and