[Harp-L] learning to be your own customizer

IÂimagine there are others like myself who play SP20s as their main axe of choice.ÂWith SP20s, the qualityÂI get out of the box from my supplier varies immensly. Some are really good, and others play stiff and weak.

I have made it a goal this year to get proficient "under the hood". I have Ruperts videos and have perused the youtube chronicles on customizing from the logical sources. I have purchased a table-mount lighted magnifier so I can get up close to the reed plates. I have attempted to work on the reed slot gaps, but frankly have had many more failures than successes. The only thing I have learned to be competent doing to a harp is tuning.

For the life of me I can't tell why the good ones are playing better than the crappy ones. I have bought custom harps and taken them apart to see if I can tell the difference from stock, but still can't say I get it.

ÂIs this something you have to apprentice under a master to get?ÂWho's doing that?

Thanks and Happy New Year to all of you on Harp-L !

Ross Macdonald

www.sassparillapdx.com ÂÂÂÂÂ