Re: [Harp-L] Impedance questions and some (probably) crazy thoughts on volume controls in crystal mics

A lot of questions Tom...

point 3 - I would recommend NOT removing the input resistor on the amp, if you
were to plug in a crystal mic without a volume pot, without a delay pedal, the
amp's input grid would see an infinite load and send the tube into thermal
runaway. You theoretically can remove the resistor if you ALWAYS use a
delay/volume pot, it's just not really a wise move.

If you have a device between the mic & the amp input, the output impedance of
that device becomes the input impedance of the amp, the 5.6Meg now helps to
prevent signal bleed to ground between the device & amp. Theoretically, once
over a certain value, the amp's input impedance should,'t make any difference
whether 1M or 5.6M...but I assure you that it does (AC impedance & dc resistance
are not the same thing.

A Jayphat style device will also work with all other kinds of mic, it is not
something that is exclusive to crystals.

If you plug your 2M mic (vol ful up) into a 5.6Meg input, directly, then yes the
overall load is ~1.5M, less if the pot is turned down, there is no way round
this, the resistance of the pot's wiper to ground, in parallel  5.6Meg is always
the lowest common denominator. Adding resistors in series with the signal from
mic pot to amp, or from element to pot does not change this, it just adds series
resistance in the signal path which may dull tone. This is relevant to your
point 5, depending on the signal voltage, putting the pot in series with the
signal may dull off tone...it may not?

If your delay robs tone seriously, then a Jayphat will help the input impedance,
but not affect anything later in the delay circuit that might be screwing up the
tone (there are a lot of components in a delay, the input is just one aspect).
You should not NEED a Jayphat to get your amp working satisfactorily with a
delay, though it might be a useful thing to have. Select a delay pedal that
doesn't screw up the tone too much (anything you plug into, between mic & amp
has some effect), assess this effect by plugging straight into the amp, then
through the delay - don't just turn the delay on & off. Some players actually
like a delay that softens tone slightly, others want to keep things tight. Most
players do not use Jayphat style devices, though I'm not trying to put you off
building one.

Cheers, Mark.