Re: [Harp-L] Reading Music

Hi Iceman

I'm still not sure what it is that you want to teach about harmony. Do
you want to teach a particular "theory" connected with harmony? If so
then what theory? Can you state it? If it is theory then it should have
predictive value. Do you want to teach an awareness of the different
sounds of intervals that constitute a particular? This would be an
example of what I referred to as taxonomy. Or do you want to teach
something altogether different from these two examples?

You may have noticed that I am not happy with what passes as theory in
music education world. In my world there is a clear difference between
theory and taxonomy.

Cheers,
Daniel

> Daniel,
>

> ah, no wonder I never learned taxonomy in music college. It doesn't really
> exist in that world...now I'm back to my original question of how to teach
> theory without using notation.
>

> Since you asked for a specific example, I'll choose one ... 4 part
> harmony, one of the foundations for modern chord voicings, also known as
> functional harmony. Bach was a master at this and the result was four
> lines that moved independently in linear fashion, but when approached
> vertically, created chords. It was one basis for our "chord changes"
> today. As you can see, this encompasses both harmonic structure of a tune
> and the harmonization of a melody at the same time.
>

> When learning music theory in college, this is considered one of the
> sources for what we do today. It includes voice leading, linear ideas,
> harmonic structure, rhythm and a basic understanding of what makes so much
> of music "work", in a sense. Charlie Parker's solos owed a lot to this
> source and to Bach, for example.
>

> In approaching an instrument such as harmonica, which is linear and also
> chordal, this foundation really strengthens and gives good logic to
> approaching soloing and accompaniment. Granted, it is not necessary for
> all those interested in music to learn, but is valuable nonetheless.
>

> One could spend years learning by ear what works and what doesn't, or
> spend a much shorter time learning theory for an inherent and deeper
> understanding of how music works. I always seek the shorter path to a
> musical goal.
>

> If you can show how functional harmony can be taught without the use of
> music notation, I would be totally enlightened.

>>> changes. It seems, in my mind, to be hard to relate them to each other