Re: [Harp-L] Discussing SPAH

Warren -Â

I'm sorry if you took offense at my response. But I felt it was my responsibility to correct what appeared to me to be errors in factual statements and yes, I did see those errors as being unfair to SPAH and its board and staff.

And by the way, this is a public discussion, not a private one. Warren and I are both running for office, and we are both making campaign statements, so my feeling is that this is something to be done in public. Harp-l is the best public forum for harmonica matters, and SPAH matters a great deal to all harmonica players, even if you're not a member and have never attended a convention. SPAH is a crossroads where many advances in harmonica playing have occurred or have been generated, and it has been Âlife changing experience for many prominent players who have in turn been deeply influential to everyone in the harmonica community.Â

And this is an open discussion. I invite the ideas and observations of all harmonica players. SPAH, like harp-l, is for you, and your participation will make it better.

Let me take up Warren's use of words likeÂ"inclusive" and "exclusive." ÂThese words carry the implication that someone is deliberately excluding someone else. When I first attended a SPAH convention in 1992, the older chromatic and harmonica band players (including much of the leadership) had a decidedly hostile attitude to diatonic players and the blues, and it was undisguised. But that was 1992. That has changed radically over time, and in 2011, inclusiveness is everywhere I look when I go to SPAH now, and is part of the attitude of SPAH board members and staff. Still,Âsmall pockets of intolerance remain among attendees, as Warren reports. That's unfortunate, but it is not the prevailing attitude at SPAH and hasn't been for a long time. But what are we gonna do, drum out the folks who have viewpoints we don't like? Problems like this just come with the territory.

A more serious problem is the de-facto exclusion that comes with the relatively high cost of attending SPAH, which Warren has now clarifiedÂis part of whatÂheÂmeant when he used words like "inclusive" and "exclusive."Â

So let's look at the costs, an the implications of those costs.

Advance registration for the SPAH convention costs $170, with reduced rates for spouses and under-18 family members. If you're not already a member, the $45 membership fee is added. The Saturday Banquet is included, along with all SPAH activities, except for some separate, privately run activities such as the Simpson-Smith seminars and the offsite Blues Blowoff founded by Jason Ricci.

But the big costs are in travel and accommodation. Staying at the SPAH hotel will run about $500, even at the lowered rates that we bargain for in the large hotels that have the facilities we require. You can often find other lower-cost hotels nearby that will save you money but reduce your convenience.

Air travel within the US will cost another $200 to $500.

Meals and incidentals will cost perhaps another $200-$500 (depends on your consumption levels).

So if you're a SPAH member who lives within easy driving distance and goes home every night, you could be only $175 out of pocket. But this is an international event and most of us travel to SPAH, soÂa total cost of $1,000+ is quite realistic.Â

As a large proportion of SPAH attendees are older folks, camping out or otherwise roughing it to reduce accommodation costs is not an option.

Cheaper hotels are not easy to find because they are either too far out of the way to be easily accessible by air, or because they lack the facilities we need to stage our activities.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've had folks suggest that we have the convention in New York City. High on prestige and visibility, but it would triple our hotel costs!

The net effect is that SPAH attendees tend to be either young enough to have attendance funded by parents, or old enough to have put the kids through college and paid off the house. There's a big gap in the middle that I'd love to fill. I don't see how we can do that by lowering the cost of attending SPAH. But there may be ways to offer value to members in other ways that are achievable with SPAH's resources and affordable by members.

Multiple smaller, local events are an interesting idea. But that immediately raises the questions of how to fund it, and who is going to do the huge amount of work required to pull off even a small event?

Non-travel value is a big area of possibilities . . . .

Let me change course, though and ask why is SPAH the way it is?

I think that SPAH has been shaped by the realities that have right-sized the event within what is actually possible.

Take membership, for instance. Let me relate some interesting facts. Back in the 1990s I was publishing HIP-the Harmonica Information Publication and Al Eichler was publishing American Harmonica Newsletter. This was before harp-l and the internet in general had opened up communication potential for small groups of far-flung folks interested in obscure topics. AHNÂcould never break the 1,000 mark in circulation despite being very inexpensive. HIP for its part was being advertised in major blues magazines and was in Tower Records internationally and still barely broke 2,000 in circulation.ÂCould it be that the world of harmonica enthusiasts willing to pay money to join an organization or buy a magazine is simply smaller than we wish it to be?

Don't get me wrong. I'm eager to expand SPAH membership. And it may well be possible that a new approach, and new value adds for members could help that happen.

I could go on, but this is already getting long.

So let me close by exhorting all who read this to get more deeply involved in the life of the harmonica by actively participating in SPAH.

Your ideas and dialogue are welcome, and can make a difference.

Thanks.

WinslowÂ
Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com