Re: Subject: Re: [Harp-L] soundproofing an interior room - another idea

On Dec 4, 2011, at 10:19 AM, EGS1217@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Geez, Vern....how did growing 'weed' come into this?

I didn't intend it to be taken seriously.  In the immortal words of Senator Claghorn "That's  a joke, Son."

> My suggestion of this indoor hydroponic 'booth' is specifically because they really CAN cut down on sound if they're placed further inside a bigger room and not up against a wall. As long as one adds a good thick base inside (carpeting?), and something on top (thick  batting, perhaps?), the sound could even be prevented from transmitting to the apartment (or room) above and below. The idea was to use this as a starting base and with some ingenuity pad it out enough TO be used as an improvised sound booth (which run into the $5,000 and up range for anything close to this size).

The use of mass to prevent the transmission of sound is a well-established acoustic principle.
The following is from http://www.enoisecontrol.com/Noise_Containment.html

 Mass, or weight, blocks noise from traveling from one area to another.  Light, porous, open celled materials are excellent acoustical absorbers which turn sound energy into heat energy.  Thus reducing the sound from being reflected back.  Good sound containment uses both of these materials in conjunction to reduce the sound levels in an area and block the noise from escaping.

Even if augmented by curtains, batting, or other light materials,  the performance of hydroponic tents  to contain sound will be disappointing.

Vern