Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica to Midi

Hi Mike -

Great question ;-).

A pitch-to-midi converter is basically what you're looking for. The technology has always left something to be desired though. I've been playing around with the Sonuus G2M (http://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m.html) which is made for guitar (does not require a hex synth pickup) and I've gotten mixed but reasonable results. But I have an older model and supposedly the current model has improved tracking (I haven't had time to mess with this lately, so I haven't yet ordered the newer model).

It is not an expensive device at a list price of $129. But be prepared to experiment a lot with levels as well as synth sounds and you will likely have to alter your playing style at least a bit when using such a device.

The nice thing is that it can track note bends and dynamics and unlike a milionizer, you can mix the synth sound with the natural harmonica sound -- which is what I'm after. Chords don't work very well as you point out.

There's not much else currently on the market that I'm aware of except for studio-only work (non-realtime) where a software plugin like Celemony will most likely do a wonderful job (haven't tried it though).

Hope this helps....

- Slim.

http://www.SlideManSlim.com