RE: [Harp-L] Going Solo?

Well... I'm a harmonica player who makes a living primarily from a solo act and I live in the Twin Cities so I guess I should chime in on this one!

> For you one man band types...anyone able to pull off a three set
> show?
The answer for myself is no. I have found it to be too monotone to have that much harp music. I've played shows with just harp and percussion and singing and even with varying styles of blues, jazz, rock, pop I find that the audience is thoroughly "harmonica-ed out" after 1 set. But you CAN keep 'em for one set...

In my solo show I play marimba (classically trained) and percussion and I use the marimba equally as much as harmonica to accompany myself. I have enough material to play 3 sets of music but I only book nights of 2 sets and usually only 2 or so hours. I play concerts or listening rooms. If there is a song that isn't getting a reaction then I remove it from the show. I try to have as little "filler" as possible or I loose the audience. As a percussionist I play cajon, udu, caxxixi, shakers, beatbox and have 2 midi percussion controllers in the rig for variety. I have the flow of songs generally broken out into categories, giving the audience something fresh to watch as I'm looping and something fresh for their ears:
Marimba and harp foundation
Marimba foundation, harp solo
Harp foundation, harp solo
Marimba foundation, marimba solo
(no loops) marimba self-accompaniment

I'm certainly not saying 4 hours can't be done... but it is very difficult in my experience.

> but does any non-harp player
> want to listen to three sets of solo stuff?
There is something very wonderful about our instrument that "grabs" people's ear... it has vocal qualities and fantastic overtones and timbres. The flip side is that it can really wear on an audience. Mike, you're a great player and a very smart guy so my suggestion would be to add one or two effects/tones that actually 'dulls' out the harp. If you haven't already, something that gets you to a soft organ feel. It's the last thing you want when playing in a band but something that you'll need if you want to sing and solo over your harp all night.

> I'd be playing about 50% of each and working in originals.
I think this is spot on... and you know your rooms better than anyone...

> I am extremely confident in my vocals and
> ability to create arrangements.  My big concerns are holding a crowd.
That's good because as a solo looping act your vocals and arrangements are what will hold a crowd!

Good Luck,
Noah

http://www.noahhoehn.com/