[Harp-L] Little Walter

   Coincidentally, the Chicago Sun-Times mentions Little Walter in their
lead editorial today.  Instructing folks to hit www.bluesheaven.com and
listen to Little Walter's "My Babe" running in the background of Willie
Dixon's foundation website before reading the editorial.  To get the
importance and feel of Chicago blues.  It's a piece on turning the Chess
Studios and the surrounding neighborhood into a tourist zone similar to Sun
Studios in Memphis.
   Listening to the Wes Weston clip doing Little Walter and Little Walter
himself in today's posts reminded me of a conversation I had decades ago
with Chicago harpist Ron Sorin.  Ron told me he never had any interest in
completely recreating somebody else's harp style but he understood the
"seduction" of Walter's playing.  It's a "complete" style; it works in a lot
of different settings; and to this day it still sounds modern, Ron felt.  I
agreed.
   Kind of reminds me of the old Studebaker Avanti.  I was a kid when that
car came out and year after year, decade after decade, that automobile still
looked like the most modern thing on the road to me.  Same deal with
Walter's stuff.  Way ahead of its time.  My opinion.

Mick Zaklan