From: spahconvention06 <spahconvention06@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sat, Apr 23, 2011 7:11 pm
Subject: [Harp-L] SPAH A great thread

I love the energy that this thread has generated.  This year will be my 19th
convention and as always it's the die hard friends that I have gotten to know
during this time that brings me back.  The last few years, has brought out young
monster players that prior conventions never saw.  The first diatonic player to
win the hearts of the old school SPAH was Madcat and he was 32. Diatonic
certainly has taken over the entire industry but we continue to support the Trio
world as best we can.   This year we're bringing in the Sgro Bros and
Harmonicamento (a quartet from Germany).  We're always open to  new ideas to
grow the organization in any way possible.  Our Kid program, Sponsored by Hohner
on Friday morning,  attracts between 100 and 140 newbies with a lunch, book,
concert and harmonica.  The two Saturday public senior shows has reached an
attendance of up to 400/ show.  Wednesday night, our harmonica  give away night,
offers 100 harmonicas to the public and a free show.  In Sacramento we had
over 600 in the audience.

Attendance over the years, that I have been on the Board (2000-2011),  has been
between 450 and and 600 for attendees, with our Sat night dinners between 375
and 450.  Our hotel room nights fall between 800 and 1100 each year.  Dallas in
03 and Sacramento 2009, we're our best attended events.

Times have changed.  Each year we look at things to offer our guests that will
be different than prior years.. Seminars have exploded with all sorts of new
topics, small afternoon shows, chromatic jazz jams and an expanded sponsor/vendor
candy store.  This year we're continuing to support the Tuesday night Blow off
with bus transportation.

The ideas that have come forth on the Buckeye Closing thread has been positive.
The board will change coming up after the 2012 convention in Dallas and we need
to start planning the our 50th in 2013.  So keep those ideas coming and any
volunteers that want to get an education dealing with the best group of harp
players in the world step up.

Paul Davies

SPAH Advisor