[Harp-L] SPAH A great thread

I love the energy that this thread has generated.ÂÂThis year will be my 19th convention and as always it's the die hard friends that I have gotten to know during this timeÂthat brings me back.ÂÂThe last few years, has brought outÂyoung monster players that prior conventions never saw. The first diatonic player to win the hearts of the old schoolÂSPAHÂwas Madcat and he was 32. Diatonic certainly has taken over the entire industry but we continue to support the Trio world as best we can. ÂThis year we're bringing in the Sgro Bros and Harmonicamento (a quartet from Germany). ÂWe'reÂalways open to Ânew ideas to grow the organization in any way possible. Our Kid program, Sponsored by Hohner on Friday morning, attracts between 100 and 140 newbies with a lunch, book, concert and harmonica. The twoÂSaturdayÂpublicÂsenior showsÂhas reached an attendance of up to 400/ show. Wednesday night,Âour harmonica give away night, offers 100 harmonicas to the publicÂand a free show. In Sacramento we had overÂ600 in the audience.

Attendance over the years, that I have beenÂon the Board (2000-2011),ÂÂhas been between 450 and and 600 for attendees, with our Sat night dinners between 375 and 450.ÂÂOur hotelÂroom nights fallÂbetween 800 and 1100 each year. Dallas in 03 and SacramentoÂ2009, we're our best attended events.

Times have changed. Each year we look at things to offer our guests that will be different thanÂprior years.. Seminars have exploded with all sorts of new topics, small afternoon shows, chromatic jazz jams and an expandedÂsponsor/vendor candy store. This year we're continuing to support the Tuesday night Blow off with bus transportation.

The ideas that have come forth on the Buckeye Closing thread has been positive. The board will change coming up after the 2012 convention in Dallas and we need to start planning the our 50th in 2013. So keep those ideas coming and any volunteers that want to get an education dealing with the best group of harp players in the world step up.

Paul Davies

SPAH Advisor