RE: [Harp-L] B-Radical

David-

Good post! And just to emphasize the message that you are conveying, I worked in the auto industry for a few years at one of the Big Three's plants. I worked for one of the Tier I suppliers. If we goofed something up and caused a production shut down, the cost which we could be held liable for was calculated relative to the severity of production loss. Smallest cost was if a machine was down (we supplied machined parts and proprietary OEM parts) the cost of "down time" was calculated at $7,000.00 per minute. On the other end of the spectrum, if a whole cell or line was down and cars were not going out the back door, the cost was calculated at $44,000.00 per minute. 8,000 UAW employees with nothing to do! Fortunately, our feet were never held to that fire. But I saw it happen to other suppliers. Every now and then one of the suppliers would have to fly in a part via Kitty Hawk at a cost of $50,000.00 just for shipping which was cheaper than what the down time would cost.

Yes, production time is precious and down time is expensive!

Production, whether a huge plant or a small mom and pop garage operation, is a stressful thing full of pressure always coming at you from 5 different directions.

Quality Assurance is a huge thing. Good for Brad for rejecting the coverplate order! That just demonstrates his commitment to producing a quality product.

Buck