Re: [Harp-L] Re: Buckeye Cancelled

I firmly believe your comments reflect the thoughts of the masses.  You have
to tell them a story that is in some part real and relevant to them.  I am
not saying this is the norm, but regurgitating relatively dated music to the
masses is not an effective means to make a connection with music lovers.
 You have to connect with them..."you" as in literally you.  Today's music
audiences want personal connections (see Twitter and Facebook for example)
and/or familiarity.

If you aren't playing music familiar to them, for example playing pre war
blues to teens, then you better find another way to make a personal
connection.  If you are in a band that plays what the crowd wants to hear,
the personal connection is less crucial to the success of that event, but
I'd argue the lack of connection would not net long-term sustainability with
that audience.

In other words, you aren't special to them if you just play what they want
to hear.  You can be interchanged with other bands and modes of
entertainment easily.  To me, that is the difference between an average
coverband and the big-money-crowd-drawing coverbands...the connection.

Locally, bands like Trampled by Turtles, Wookie Foot, Heat Box, and Charlie
Parr have NO business being hugely successful as they play niche music that
parallels the blues and harmonica experiences.  HOWEVER, they are able to
find other ways to engage crowds through personal connections that makes
people want to follow them around and pay money to see them.

There is much more to a great band then how they play.  We all can find
endless examples of band with huge talent that bomb with audiences.  We can
also all list many successful bands with little talent but huge crowd
appeal.
Mike Fugazzi
vocals/harmonica
http://www.mikefugazzi.com