RE: [Harp-L] Beginners instruction materials?

David Barrett's book mentioned here was very useful to me but when I received it as a gift, I was already playing as a pro (maybe the person that gave it to me was hinting at something?  :D ). It sat on a shelf for years and when I finally took a close look and played the CD that came with it I found myself picking up some really cool stuff. I hate trying to read tab and found that the CD was the best thing about the package (for me).

If I remember correctly, there is a chapter dedicated to the all important embouchure topic that would IMHO be helpful to beginners. I think it has embouchure diagrams/illustrations that would benefit beginners. I take on students from time to time and conveying the embouchure information seems to be one of the most difficult things to do. I usually end up drawing pictures.

One thing Barrett does on the CD that I really liked is where he plays a lick or riff slowly, explains or describes what he is doing then he does the lick again and then pulls the harp away from his lips and demonstrates the breathing and attack so you hear what is happening without the harmonica sound. Things like tongue taps, vibratos, tongue slaps etc. He demonstrates licks acoustically and then through a mic and amplifier, too. He also goes into an "air management" section that IMHO would benefit beginners. The text supports most of what is on the CD (if I am remembering correctly). Also, I think it's all about diatonic harmonica.

Nowadays, there is so much stuff on youtube and other web sites that if I were a beginner, that is where I would start OR I would find a harmonica teacher that is willing to spend the time assessing what I know and what I want to learn and is willing to customize and tailor my lessons that would take me to a certain level then point me in the right direction and turn me loose. However, DB's book and CD is a great tool and I don't know how much it costs these days but if it's not overly expensive, I would recommend it to most anyone. I think he may even have a series of books/CDs from entry level to advanced. And for the record, I am in no way affiliated with David Barrett nor do I sell any of his products.

In general, I agree with the statement below.