Re: [Harp-L] Re: Low Key Harp Cover Rattle?

Hi
I had some pre production Hohner low G S.B.S, which I'd been given for an informal opinion. Personally I loved them but the extra weight needed on the free swinging end of the reed to bring them down to pitch caused a number of 'problems'.
They started an octave below the G used for the start of the G Richter tuned harp, like the G below the bottom C on the current S.B.S in C.
I have seen cover plates customized by 'panel beating' out a clearance slot for low tuned reeds and this did work. How ever the suggestion to give care to the reed-gap off-set is very good advice.
I would add to this an examination of the techniques that you are using to initiate the voicing of the reed. It is very common for folks to use far grater pressure on their start off air strike than is strictly needed, causing the reeds to have a larger arc than is needed for the purpose. With the Low G S.B.S. I also found that I had to think and play before I wanted the reed to sound in order to bring it's inherent delay into line with the beat.

In the end Hohner decided at that time not to put the Low Tuned G S.B.S. into production, a shame, I felt that its deep rich tone, was worth the work needed to play it well.

Examples of working with this sort of delay can be seen in the choir organ manuals, which are connected by mechanical links to the main organ. So the Westminster choir organ runs 1. something seconds late. It must be hard changing the playing habit when you have been working with one delay for a long time ;-)
David