Re: [Harp-L] Overwhelmed by sources of harmonica-information!

My problem with finding a teacher is that many of the folks who say they teach harmonica are really guitar (or other instrument) players who as a side play some harp on a rack in the vein of dylan, young, etc and aren't what i call dedicated, knowledgeable harmonica people. They know how to play some chordal accompaniment and consider themselves harmonica players but not what many of us would call a true dedicated harmonica player and maybe not of the style the person seeking lessons would want (but if so, then it's all good, go for it!). so, be careful, listen to any aspiring instructor play and ask if that's the style you want to learn.

My other point is that many great players are not good teachers, do not have an organized set of materials and approach (if that is important to you). So be careful there, and get references. In most places, other than major urban areas, after applying these criteria, you will find options slim to none. or like me, you simply aren't in one place long enough or have a consistent enough schedule to be able to do lessons (cost is also a factor for a lot of people these days).

So that leads you to the self-study thing, or remote/virtual lessons using technologies like Skype (or just the good old fashioned telephone) with folks like Gindick, Rubin, etc who are set up for that. There's a hell of a lot of great stuff out there (and a lot of bad stuff too!!) but it comes down to how you want to learn. For example Jon Gindick's material is very friendly, FUN, loosey-goosey, upbeat, easy. I think he just redid the classic Rock and Blues Harmonica book/cd and I really enjoyed that when I was learning, as a starting point. If you prefer something more structured, deep, scholarly and austere then David Barret's huge series of stuff is a good choice. You could do the basic stuff then cover his Chicago Blues Harmonica two-part book/cd set (he has dvds too which are good). If you want to work mostly without a book, i.e in a car or whatever, then Jerry Portnoy's Masterclass 3-cd set is very good. I would absolutely say that if you want a good fundamental start to all things harmonica, from playing to some music theory intro to maintaining your harps, then start with Winslow's Harmonica for Dummies.

There are also some structured lessons set up on web sites that are a mix of interactive and static by folks like Howard Levy, Dave Barrett, and Adam Gussow. If you can't be at the computer all the time take note of how much of that can be done offline as opposed to requiring you to be connected.

Don't forget to just have fun and play, that's the part i screwed up when I started and became too focused on these materials. You have to teach your brain and body where the sounds are and that won't happen without a lot of time with the harp in your mouth. play along with stuff, just for fun. i didn't like that because it was frustrating and sounded so bad. but it won't get better unless you do it. print off the tabs from some of the tab sites for your favorite songs and learn them, it's an easy way to get some self-reward and confidence. stairway to heaven isn't a "harmonica song" but i remember the thrill of playing it for the first time, even when I was a rank beginner, after I had invested a little time to learn it, and it always impresses people. something simple like danny boy, summer time, or amazing grace, can be learned easily and then as you gain better technique spiced up with things like octave splits, chords, etc.

when you get to a certain level of proficiency, start thinking about playing in the local jams. go there now anyway just to take note of technique and get to know the local players, you might find a good instructor that way too, and someone who will guide/mentor you for a few beers or your friendship.

Bill Hines