Subject: Re: [Harp-L] "Oh Girl" position

Well, I just watched that clip twice...fullscreen and as it got to the end
I got a much better 'up close' look at the harmonica ...(most definitely a
harmonica) used. Looks something like a Goliath, perhaps?

Here it is again...the harmonicist is the man to the back and right of the
lead singer.

The Chi-Lites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cu8XA89JzA

If you listen to the original record - the sound is most definitely a
harmonica. A melodica is close, but no cigar, although I'm personally now  very
interested in Suzuki's new (and stunning version) as shown at SPAH..the
'melodion' I think they call it? They didn't have the newer, bigger keyboard on
 hand. Both Bobbie Giordano and myself were immediately 'on point' when we
saw  the smaller one though. What a gorgeous instrument!  I've always had a
mild  interest in the idea, but not until I saw this very professional
looking  instrument had I seriously thought of getting one for myself (I believe
it'll combine my keyboard playing with my love for harmonicas...a win-win),
so  Suzuki just might win me over as a customer after all. Of course
meeting  Waichiro Tashikawa - an absolutely lovely gentleman and VP of Suzuki, as
well  as  getting to know Daron at last Garden State Festival didn't hurt.

So I did a little on-line sleuthing and found this next Chi-Lites video
from 2008 - where the player is most definitely using a melodica....pointing
up  the clear difference between this video and the first.  They may not be
the  same individual playing...not sure at all.  Just saying that there's no
question there are two completely different instruments used at different
times.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBpFtHf_SPY&feature=related_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBpFtHf_SPY&feature=related)

here's another clip from the Rolonda Watts' show - chatting with  the later
group members,  clearly showing the melodica in  use then.

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7pwfiPXgqc&feature=related_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7pwfiPXgqc&feature=related)

Elizabeth

"Message: 6