Re: [Harp-L] How to record a jam session

On 09/16/2010 12:57 PM, Bill Kumpe wrote:
There are some very good small digital recorders available these days.  For
less than two hundred dollars you can buy the recorder, a table stop mic
stand for it and get surprisingly good recordings.
indeed. i would, however, recommend two accessories:

i keep a (boom type) mic stand in my trunk, and usually
use it, vs. the table stand route.  this gives me a lot of
flexibility in positioning the recorder, both to get a good
stereo image and to get it away from noisy bar patrons.

also, get a roll of blue 3m painter's tape.  i use the 2" wide
size.  this is really useful in taping down cables, securing
your recorder so it doesn't get knocked over if you use
the table top stand, etc.  it is also really useful when you
can't find a place for the mic stand, but there's a good
spot where you can just tape your recorder to a wall
or something.  there's a pillar in the middle of the room,
about 6' from the stage, in the bar where the local jam
happens.  it's the perfect spot, but you can't put a mic
stand up or people will trip over it all night.  so i just
attach the mic stand adapter that comes with my H2,
and tape it to this pillar, wrapping around the pillar
a couple of times.  great sound, out in front of the
sometimes noisy crowd, out of everyone's way.
perfect.  the tape peels off easily, does no damage,
leaves no residue.  great stuff.  makes me think
of rob p. every time i use it.

-- We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give. - Kathy Moser