Re: [Harp-L] "Son of Concertware"

Hi Angus,

Look into using ABC music notation.  It allows you to encode music notation using a txt file and then it can be easily converted to real music notation in PDF format and a MIDI file that will play on windows media player.

For an example cut and paste the following text into the input box on the link below:

X:1
T:Harmonized Scale in C
C:
L:1/8
Q:240
M:4/4
K:C
c2 d2 e2 f2 g2 a2 b2 c'2  |
c'2 b2 a2 g2 f2 e2 d2 c2  |
[c2G2E2C2] [d2A2F2D2] [e2B2G2E2] [f2c2A2F2] | [g2d2B2G2] [a2e2c2A2] [b2f2d2B2] [c'2g2e2c2]  |
[c'2g2e2c2] [b2f2d2B2] [a2e2c2A2] [g2d2B2G2] | [f2c2A2F2] [e2B2G2E2] [d2A2F2D2] [c2G2E2C2]  |

http://www.folkinfo.org/songs/abcconvert.php

Press SUBMIT and you will see the proper music notation appear above the box, and just above the box to the left there are two links, PDF to download your pdf file, and MIDI to download/play your sound file.  There are other similar websites but this one has a few extra features including the ability to *transpose* your tune to any key.

The default midi sound for windows media player seems to be a piano sound but the midi can be easily edited to force a (cheesy) harmonica sound. (There are free programs that convert midi to text and back again)  Haven't played around with is for a while.  Good luck.  If you have any questions I can try and jog my memory and will help if I can.

This was the first example that I could grab off my desk top and is a C scale running up an down, followed by a harmonized version.  You are sure to find other examples if you poke around a little online, and there are several free 'how to' pages too.

Have fun!

Doug H