You are in the right direction with working on your tone. I'm at the point now where I don't depend on
volume pots on my mics or custom harps. I parked all my custom diatonics, including the ones I built, on the shelf and just play
stock diatonics now.

On Sep 3, 2010, at 6:29 PM, harp-l-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Message: 3
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 21:18:18 +0100
From: "Aongus Mac Cana" <amaccana@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] The Great Comb debate
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

OK Kids,
As far as I am concerned Rick Epping and Winslow Yerxa have said it all to
the satisfaction of my simple mechanical engineering mind.
The quality of the interface beween comb and reedplate is the issue - not
the comb material.
One of these days I am going to try a reedplate gasket. In the meantime
perhaps I should just concentrate on playing the darn thing and try to
involve my sound box (a.k.a. my airways) in producing a decent tone.
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana

Michael Easton www.harmonicarepair.com