Re: [Harp-L] The Great Comb debate

On Sep 3, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Aongus Mac Cana wrote:

OK Kids,
As far as I am concerned Rick Epping and Winslow Yerxa have said it all to
the satisfaction of my simple mechanical engineering mind.
The quality of the interface beween comb and reedplate is the issue - not
the comb material.
One of these days I am going to try a reedplate gasket.

*** I have used construction paper on problem chromatics. I cut and fit them and then wet them with baby oil. This is what I found. A gasket will deaden or choke the highs (or over rings/over-pings). They work great on Herings, which have a tendency to be shrill or 'biting'. A gasket will make them mellow down. YMMV. :)
smo-joe

In the meantime
perhaps I should just concentrate on playing the darn thing and try to
involve my sound box (a.k.a. my airways) in producing a decent tone.
Beannachtai
Aongus Mac Cana