Re: [Harp-L] Charlie Musselwhite on the Jay Leno show

See, the thing that irritates me is Cyndi is not the greatest blues singer and Jonny is not the greatest blues singer or guitarist. Charlie is one of the greatest harp players or maybe the greatest ( a matter of opinion ). But Jay Leno and Don Johnson bypass him and go directly to Cyndi and Jonny for hugs and handshakes. They mean no disrespect, it's just a matter of what you know.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Hines" <billhines4@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2010 11:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Charlie Musselwhite on the Jay Leno show

I just watched the youtube clip (thanks for saving me the trouble of searching for that!) on my computer, which has pretty nice sound card and Bose speaker system. I thought it sounded great, Charlie didn't get a solo but his fills and backing came through loud and clear and he got some great face time as far as being in the video clip. I can easily see folks saying "dang I didn't know a harmonica could sound that great" after watching/listening to it myself.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, as I've given mine. But it hurts me to see someone as genuinely nice as Charlie, and a humble legend how has performed so well every time I've seen him, essentially trashed in a disrespectful manner on a public list like this. Nobody gets a free pass because they are humble or a legend I guess, but still it's painful for me to read stuff like that. Some folks will view laying back and playing professionally as 'tired' and boring and view theatrics like jumping up on the bar knocking over drinks as awesome, others are quite the opposite. We all different in what we enjoy.

That said, it's my opinion that the arrangement of this song really didn't work for me, nor did Jonny Lang's way over the top theatrics. I mean, the scrunched up face might work for a brief moment to add emphasis to some over the top note or section of the solo, but looking like you're constipated and trying to squeeze one out for the whole song is kind of ridiculous, especially when it's kind of a slow song! He took 85% of the song between the tortured (as someone else put it) singing and guitar solos. But, others may well have loved that. just saying it didn't work for me. I have to wonder what Charlie was thinking!

Bill Hines