[Harp-L] Lip drag

I set up my own harps. I like Marine Bands because I can get them to wail. I'm
no Spiers but I do pretty well for my needs. I get crisp, bendable overbends and
general good playability. Basically, I'm satisfied with my reed work. What bugs
me is that some licks I play on MBs are sloppy and less fluid than on other
harps whose tone and feel I don't like as much.

As best I can tell the problem is with lip drag on the Hohners. I think the
cover plate engraving is slowing me down. Unlike the exposed reedplate edges the
cover stamping isn't really uncomfortable; it just isn't as fast as those slick,
laser engraved Suzukis. I tried spreading some AstroGlide personal lubricant on
and that helps but I'll seem like a wierdo if I buy it by the caseful.

I guess I'm just fishing for ideas to smooth the coverplates.
And make those afore mentioned exposed reedplates more lip friendly.
And round the end seam of the coverplates which Hohner should already do and in
fact does do on the MS series but not Marine Bands or Special 20s.

Paul