[Harp-L] The McGurk Effect, (Michael Rubin)

There's not a lot of harp played in Durban South Africa*, so any half-decent
player will get complimented quite often, -nice, if you believe it.

But I'm surprised at the great response given by the audience if the upper
registers are used in a solo:  Whistles, shouts, spontaneous applause seem
to be more frequent from hole 6 upwards.

My theory is that the listener equates the pitch with increasing difficulty,
as with say a saxophone, and thinks he's hearing "better" playing?

Similarly a slow wipe of notes gets response better than a rapid slur.

Anyone else noted this pitch effect, or that of the speed of playing?

Regards
Geoff Atkins

* Cape Town in the deep South has a far higher standard set by a gent,
Dave Ferguson, who plays in a boutique Airstream 7-trailer park.