[Harp-L] Old Time Rock n' Roll - Horn solo

Denny,

It's been a while, but I've played "Old Time Rock 'n Roll" off and on for years. I never try to imitate the sax solo note-for-note, (I rarely imitate any recording note-for- note) but you can get the same type of feel and phrasing if you use a major pentatonic scale to play the solo. In second position the major pentatonic scale is: 2D/ 3B 3D** 3D 4D 5B 6B. In degrees of the scale this is: 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, octave. Some people refer to this as the "country scale," but it's also used on A LOT of R&B material. I generally start the solo on the 5th (4D) and work from there.

When using the major pentatonic scale to improvise, you can sometimes throw in 4D*(5b) and 3D*(3b) in passing for flavor if they sound good on the particular tune, but, in general, you don't lean on those notes like you might do when playing blues. And, in general, don't play ANY flat 7ths (D5, D2**, D9).

FWIW.

JP