Re: [Harp-L] School survey help needed

I haven't seen your designs, but I doubt that any of them will be effective.

You will have great difficulty designing an effective muffler for the harmonica.
The sound level of a tightly hand-cupped diatonic will be about as quiet as you can get with any practical attachment.

The human ear has a logarithmic response.  A 30 db reduction in perceived sound would require reducing the transmitted sound energy to 1/1000 of its normal level.  There is a story (possibly true) about the GE engineer who promised his boss to reduce the sound energy from a jet engine by 50%.  He did it, but the engine didn't sound perceptibly quieter.

Go out to the garage and practice in the car.

A porous surface like cane board suppresses reflection of sound but mass like masonry is required to suppress transmission.
A double layer of wallboard (lots of mass) on the door to your practice room might work.  However, it must seal all of the tiny cracks perfectly.  A hole in the door the size of a quarter would be almost like leaving the door open.

Sorry to be an old killjoy but it's not me...it is the acoustical sad facts.

Vern