Re: [Harp-L] RE: Sad News

Bummer, bummer, bummer.....and bummer :( Let the legend begin :)

From: Danny Wilson [mailto:bassharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2010 1:20 PM
To: harp-l; harp talk
Subject: Sad News

Eddie Gordon
October 7, 1941 - May 2, 2010

I just received word of the passing of harmonica great Eddie Gordon today
at 12:40pm CDT after a long battle with cancer. Eddie was a dear friend to
me, as well as a trio member for a number of years, and will be sorely
missed.

An exceptional artist on both chromatic and chord harmonicas, in
addition to
diatonic, he was a leader in the art of harmonica.

A page I did for him a number of years ago can be accessed at:
http://www.bassharp.com/edgordon.htm
featuring a number of photos covering his artistry.

From the web page:

Of his years with Johnny Puleo's Harmonica Gang, he said, "I had many
friends
among the players. They took the place of my father - I really had many
fathers:
people like Carl Ford, Jo Jo DeFulvio, Hal Harmon and Dave Doucette, but
most
of all, Johnny. They made sure I rested properly and ate properly. Hal
Harmon took
a special liking to me when I was with the Gang and when the act didn't
work out,
he took me on and we worked out as a duo. We billed ourselves as the
Harmonica
Masters and traveled around in an old jalopy . When that broke down we
went by
bus. I remember doing a show for SPAH 'way back in 1965'. I was quite
surprised
that there even was an organization doing service toward the harmonica."

My respects to one of the harmonica greats of the world,
Danny