Re: [Harp-L] Re: GM harps

On Mar 8, 2010, at 6:33 AM, HTownFess wrote:

Good point, smo-joe, didn't explain myself clearly:

No, you did, and I agree with you. I was merely stating my own experience(s), but you are correct.

one reason the ca.1998 yellow brass reeds were superior was that Hohner started the
milling near the reed base with smooth curves instead of right angles
on that generation of reeds. Better milling there seems like the
prime route to longevity improvement (http://www.harp-l.org/pipermail/
harp-l/2006-August/msg00102.html is one place I'm on record about
that).

Yes, I remember you saying so. And we have talked about this on slidemeister over the years. Since reed failures are more critical on chromos. Tossing a $63.oo chromo is more a burden than a $12.oo diatonic. AND, I have only about an 87.5% ratio of fix it rate on chromos. I have a better ratio on diatonics. Time is another factor. Yesterday I was able to change out a reed in about 45 minutes. And that was with all the adjusting, clipping to size, and centering. Since the rivets are too small for me to handle with my hands (which are going bad), I use lady's spike heel tap nails. They are the same dia but long enough to hold.

Beyond that, not using diagonal slashes for tuning would cure a small remaining % of reed failures (think I've seen two failures there in
100 reed repairs on my own & others' diatonics).

I have always felt that the diagonal slashes throw the reed out of kilter. They may have an effect on the reed vibrating 'evenly'. In other words, when pressed hard, the reeds (may) vibrate on a twist. I see this (possible) twist as a problem thaat (may) set up unusual harmonics in the metal.

The diagonal slashes also lead to other problems, like the burrs you mention or the
phenomenon of high reeds that go way up in pitch when you play them
harder.  I think they can make the reed flex in less of a straight
plane than it should.

Oh, ok, I hadn't read this far. My mind was racing. Yes, you're right.

I didn't say Hohner doesn't make a fine product--they do.

I know that. I have never seen anything in your posts capping on any particular manufacturer. All you have ever done was search for the truth. This is what makes the harmonica scene so vibrant right now. The dissemination and sharing of information..AS gleaned by actual working gigging 'Road Dogs'. This can only be a good thing. Actually, all the makers are doing a good job right now. Considering the overall product line up. If they weren't, there wouldn't be ANY sales.

Their quality control has improved, but their design decisions are sending
me elsewhere. Ca. 1998, it looked like Hohner was intent on slamming
shut the door they'd left open for their competitors during the bad
years. Said door is still ajar--

I understand, and agree somewhat. I have always thought that they had too many models, had voiced this at various times, and have it on good authority that the reason for this is that dropping a model causes consternation among the players who like those particular models. It all comes down to Hohner trying to provide something for every body. I have no argument with that, but I have always felt that trimming models and then making THOSE remaining models
very very nice (by virtue of having all that 'saved' time to DO so, might help them out and bring them back into the sans pariel standing they had/have.

In conclusion, there was a time when you could have held a gun to my head and demanded that I NOT play Hohners and I would have said "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. Show me what ya got". But nowadays, we have all these wonderful choices. And since I'm not married to Hohner, I reserve the right to try other makes/models.

I only wish lolol that I had the time and moolah to try everything.

I feel we are of the same mind.... Jo-Zeppi