From: David Payne <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, June 17, 2010 6:52:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] My B-Radical arrived. Wow

Ken,

I understand the complexity of what you're feeling - you said that you are
really looking forward to getting a B-radical, want us to succeed, but at
the same time question the amount of time it has taken to get your order. No
I don't think you sound petulant at all, yours are perfectly natural and
justifiable feelings.
You mentioned the amount of time it has taken thus far to get your Harrison
instrument vs. the amount of time it took for various custom products,
while realizing the difficulties startup companies face. Yes, there have
been some typical startup difficulties, we are dealing with a half dozen
suppliers and one small change or delay from a supplier has a snowball
effect, this Luckily, the vast majority of our components are made in
Illinois (the rest are made in other places in the U.S.), which mitigated
the turnaround time for vendor issues, but they still had snowball effects
on productions. Our suppliers are all incredibily resourceful and inventive
companies with bright, talented people. The deal is the B-radical design
demands incredibly tight tolerances (for instance, for the covers to snap
into place and hold without the screws as it's designed to do, the
tolerances have to be absolutely perfect).
That's all basic start-up stuff, of which most people are aware we have to
deal with.
However, what isn't as well understood, is that we are in a very unique
situation for a startup, we have invented numerous technologies to create
our unique instrument. There is this misconception out there that the
B-radical is a custom harmonica - as in it begins life as a stock harmonica
and is later customized. It is instead its own entity, separate from
anything that came before. We are doings things that have never been done
before.
The example that sticks out the most to me is that we mill our reeds
lengthwise. This is something people have tried to do since at least the
1930s. To get a lengthwise mill, we had to create 21st Century harmonica
technology that did not exist before. There is a reason we're the first to
offer it, it is anything but easy to do. There is no reference manual for
this harmonica technology because we invented it and we have no one but
ourselves to solve problems when they arise and make the necessary
corrections.
As production progresses, we have become more efficient at anticipating
needs of and executing corrections. Our vendors - we ask a great deal from
them - have developed an idea of what tolerances we require and have
familiarized themselves with the unique processes we require them to
use. Our only recourse, up to this point, to get harmonicas out faster than
we have has been to cut corners on quality, which is something everyone at
Harrison is vehemently opposed to. I know when you are waiting for
something, it's easy to imagine that those for whom you are waiting are
wasting time or goofing off, but I can assure you that is not the case. I've
seen Brad Harrison's work schedule, leaving at 4 a.m., working sometimes
until 11 p.m. I remember one night he knocked off early at 7 p.m. This man
has given his life to create this instrument.
All this isn't to say that everything will be perfect from now on. There are
still challenges to overcome, but harmonicas are going out the door every
day, although the number of reviews posted on public forums don't give that
impression. A surprising number of the instruments were purchased by people
outside of the internet harmonica community and we are working down the list
considering time-ordered only as we work through cycles of keys.
If you and Gary will send me an e-mail off list, I'll get you the best
estimate we can.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave Payne
Harrison Harmonicas
www.harrisonharmonicas.com

> Right now, our No. 1 focus is getting harmonicas built to our standards
and shipped out the door...