Re: [Harp-L] Hohner USA response re: prices, blister packs etc.

No trying to be insulting Andrew. I started playing way back in the mid 50s. I have burned through quite a few chromos. I see a couple problems. Which are:

1... You buy a chromo. You're 12.5 years old. NO ONE buys your harps. You buy them yourself. It's 1955. The price is about $8.50. You strip scrap from the discarded appliances down at the dump and after several knuckle busting hours, you have enough money for one.

2... You start to play the thing, and after a short while, you get buzzing noises that flat stone ruin the pretty music you are making. You need to change a windsaver. Ok, how does one do that? So you learn. What do you use? Yu find something that works for a while.

3... If you're lucky, as you try to fix your chromo, you don't snag a reed on your cordaroys and bend it so badly that it's ruined.

4... After a mere few weeks, the nickel is wearing off of your slide parts and the consequent constant film of oxidation is making the slide stick. So now your dreams of doing Der Ziegunderweisen go right out the window. You are always taking the slide parts apart to clean off the oxidation with silver creme.

5... One day the return spring breaks. What do you do? You make a new one with a #2 safety pin.

6... One day you have a reed go south, so you make one...out of NOTHING. Then a rivet from a paper clip. Back in business.

7... One day the comb cracks. Unwittingly, you take BOTH plates off at the same time and you never get the thing back together properly after your glue job.

8... You begin the cycle all over again. But this time you seal the comb with 50/50 Vick's Vapo Rub and baby oil.

9... Next chromo has an orangish pinkish comb made from a plastic that is also used in many German toys. This plastic looses it's integrity after a couple years and begins to crumble. I had several model cars with wheels made from the same plastic. Instead of being antique collector cars today, they sit in a box with no wheels.

10... More of the same BS over the NEXT 54 years.

The things that they 'should' change, they don't. The things they should leave alone, they change. It's exasperating. Fortunately I had a grandfather and every time I complained about the price of something, he would hand me his pen knife and say: "Make me one". No, tis true, I can't make a harmonica, and the price is moot because if I want one. I get one. I grew up in a family with depression parents. I went through all that.

I play Hohners. I happen to like Hohners.

smo-joe

My only bone of contention, and this is as an ACTIVE harmonica player, is this constant klepto for trying to make something into something it is not. Didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but that's honestly how I see it.