[Harp-L] Hohner Price Increase

Hohner probably thinks it can do anythig it wants. And with considerable justification. Afterall, it has a large and loyal market for a leaky harp put together with nails and that has a cheap unsealed wooden comb that swells and is uncomfortable to play. People buy this mysteriously popular product called a Marine Band and then spend time, effort and money as they obsess over what they need to do to it to make it playable (replace nails with screws, sand the comb, seal the comb, emboss the reedplates, etc. etc.) So, since Hohner has been so successful marketing a product like that, it has every reason to believe its customers will put up with anything else it decides to do. PT Barnum had it right………

I’m obviously not a fan of MBs. However, I am constantly amused and bewildered by the sheer number of harmonica players who are willing to spend money for what is essentaily the foundation for a do-it- yorself project. Personally, I’d rather spend time playing my harmonicas than working at trying to make them playable. Those of you who want to do otherwise will now have the opportunity to pay more for the privlege. AND you will get to open a blister pack before you start work (so you will actually get more for your money).

JP