Re: [Harp-L] Casual Harmonica players...

 oh, I dunno. "Room to Move" was one of those one of a kind inspirational harmonica tunes that affected me as much as Whammer Jammer.

Mr. Mayall cannot or does not want to play harmonica. In any event, he shouldn't.

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Marks <larry.marks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, Jan 18, 2010 11:37 am
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Casual Harmonica players...

I still have a big problem with musicians who think of the harmonica as a toy noisemaker that doesn't need practice. I am constantly amazed at the high regard in which perfectly miserable players (who should know better) are held.

For example, a bluesman whom I otherwise respect greatly is John Mayall. Mr. Mayall cannot or does not want to play harmonica. In any event, he shouldn't.

That having been said, I agree that many harmonica players, with their inferiority complex switched on full, play far too much. Inferiority complex? Sure. I suffer from it as well. I know that our instrument is regarded as a toy by many and I feel the constant need to prove that it is a real instrument. I have to work hard to keep myself from playing too much.

  -LM