Re: [Harp-L] Casual Harmonica players...

I still have a big problem with musicians who think of the harmonica as a toy noisemaker that doesn't need practice. I am constantly amazed at the high regard in which perfectly miserable players (who should know better) are held.

For example, a bluesman whom I otherwise respect greatly is John Mayall. Mr. Mayall cannot or does not want to play harmonica. In any event, he shouldn't.

That having been said, I agree that many harmonica players, with their inferiority complex switched on full, play far too much. Inferiority complex? Sure. I suffer from it as well. I know that our instrument is regarded as a toy by many and I feel the constant need to prove that it is a real instrument. I have to work hard to keep myself from playing too much.

-LM

Benoît FELTEN wrote:
I asked myself why these guys' playing appealed to me. And I think the
reason is intent. Too often maybe, a harmonica player feels obliged to play
something because, after all, he's the harp player. And while that something
may sound good and be played with great chops, it doesn't always add to the
song. When these guys whip the harp out, it's because it's the right thing
to play for this particular song at this particular moment. I dunno, it's
just a theory, but that's how I feel it.